Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ward Corn Bust - Beef on a Bun




We have to give a HUGE thank you to the ward activities committee for another fabulous event! The annual corn bust, (held this past Wednesday) was a great time and the food was delicious. I don't imagine that it is a simple thing to cook enough Beef on a Bun and Corn on the Cob to feed a couple of hundred hungry people - but those working behind the scenes did just that! It was fantastic!

If you happen to be craving some of those beef sandwiches still, OR if you need to perhaps feed an ARMY any time soon - then you will love this recipe. Thanks for sharing Sister Hegedus!

*****************
"I had never cooked such big (25 lb) roasts in my life. Being so large the outside was cooked first, so once the roast shrunk, I cut them in half and flipped them down so the middle could cook in the juice. It was recommended to use inside round roasts.   Of course buying in bulk, and so large, the price was much cheaper than normal family size.   Tip:   It's almost worth it to buy the large size and cut & tie it to make several roasts to suit your family.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sear the roast at 450* for 1 hour.
Add about 1" of water.
Seal tightly with tin foil.
Lower the heat to 260* to 300* for 4 hours.
To season I added 1 pkg of Lipton soup mix to one roast.


I rubbed Montreal Steak Spice on the other 3 before cooking.


Then I combined the juices & cooled it to remove the fat for dipping.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Notes: To reheat after cooling the meat overnight to slice the meat so it wouldn't fall apart, put parchment paper in the bottom of the roaster, and drizzle about a cup of juice over the slices, seal again with foil and heat on low @ 200* until hot. I actually used a cup over each of the 2 layers in the roasters. This large amount of meat took about 2-3 hours to reheat.
If the foil might touch the meat and stick, put saran wrap on top without it touching the sides of the pan before covering with foil.
The hardest part was slicing the meat because the grain of the meat kept changing depending on the muscle part we were cutting. This wouldn't be a problem in a regular roast."